Skip to main content

Duct selection

Place the ducts in this image in order of efficiency, from most to least efficient:
I. Square
II. Round
III. Rectangular, long horizontal
IV. Rectangular, long vertical

A. III, IV, I, II
B. I, IV, III, II
C. II, III, IV, I
D. II, I, IV, III

AnswerD. The most efficient shape is one using the least perimeter length in relation to cross-sectional area and minimized friction loss to move a volume of air.

ARE 4.0 exam prep: BS

Comments

Try These Too!

Parking units

What are the car stall dimensions for a compact car? Answer A compact car stall size can be set by each municipality and therefore varies. Generally it is 7ft 6in wide by 15ft 0in long. However, in Fresno CA it's 8 1/2ft x 16ft and according to an Iowa urban design manual, it's 7ft 6in by 16ft. ARE 4.0 exam prep: SPD

Townships double post!

How many sections are contained within a township? Answer 36 (each is 1 mile square) What are the dimensions of 1/2 of a township? H & W Answer 18 miles square (3x6 sections) ARE 4.0 exam prep: SPD

Radius of gyration

For column design, the radius of gyration incorporates area and the moment of inertia. This value represents the resistance of a cross-section to buckling, which in columns happens under a load parallel to its lesser dimension. The slenderness ratio is the ratio of a column's effective length (modified by K-value to account for its end conditions) to its least radius of gyration. For a W12x16 A36 steel column with a least radius of gyration of 0.773, whose ends are both free to rotate but fixed in translation (K=1), what is it's slenderness ratio? Answer Kl/r = (1)(12feet)(12in/ft) / 0.773 = 186.3 ARE 4.0 exam prep: SS